Big crops, big wines & BIG smiles
Please click here for Davy’s 2018 Burgundy En Primeur Offer.
To view the wines individually, and to purchase them online visit this link.
For information on any wines email the team at [email protected]
Our Fine Wine team were in Burgundy during the last week of October this year to taste the 2018s from barrel, read our 2018 Vintage Report to learn more about an exciting vintage.
The build-up to Christmas brings with it the build-up to Burgundy En Primeur; how quickly it’s come around! This year, Davy’s visit to Beaune to assess the 2018 vintage commenced in the last week of October and I’m delighted to share with you all the information you’ll need to make informed purchasing decisions over the coming weeks. Those pressed for time may find our ‘Summary’ towards the bottom of this report useful.
A first ever visit to the region under gloriously blue skies. Warm sunshine beaming down temperatures in the low to mid 20s meant the wind-proofs and thick-soled boots were an unnecessary and clunky accessory this year.
As you might expect, the weather was a key talking point throughout the week, reflecting both on the wines we were tasting, as well as the future for Burgundy and more generally, wine-growers around the world. 2018 in Burgundy takes its place alongside an increasingly common run of warm, early harvests such as 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2015 and 2017, which appear to reflect global warming.
2018: A short summary
• A warm sunny vintage, which has produced very good quality wines
• Wonderful ripeness but the wines have a balancing freshness as a result of cooler nights and healthy yields helping to prevent over-ripeness
• Full cellars (in contrast to 2019)
• Vintage comparisons are difficult in 2018- for reds the kind of ripeness found in the likes of 2009 and 2015 but likely to be more accessible in youth
• Whites will be relatively early drinking and ripe- sunny, pure fruit with vibrancy
Davy’s 2018 Burgundy offer opens on Monday 6th January 2020 @ 9.00am
Although we can’t confirm orders until 6th January, we’ll be delighted to take your requests and will do our best to secure orders for you. Buying on release is usually the only time to secure the sought-after wines of the Cote d’Or.
If you’re new to En Primeur you’ll find detailed information in our article ‘What is En Primeur?’