Château Cantemerle

Château Cantemerle can be traced back to the 12th century, when it started life as a fortification guarding the shores of the Medoc. The wine was first noted in 1354 when the Lord of Cantemerle paid off some dues with a barrel of claret. After successive ownership, the domaine was finally bought in 1981 by Mutual Insurance Division of the SMABTP. At that time this beautiful and vast estate was exhausted and only 20 hectares around the château were planted with vines. It was decided to replant thirty-five hectares of vine using traditional Médoc standards. Cellars were also entirely renovated. In 1999, twenty hectares of vines situated between Château Cantemerle and Château La Lagune were purchased and today the estate spreads over ninety-one hectares of vine. View our selection.

Vineyard and Winemaking

150 years after the 1855’s Medoc classification, Cantemerle has returned to the same vineyard size it had at the time. It is planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (30%), Cabernet Franc (6%) and Petit Verdot (4%) with an average of 30 years old vine.

All wines are hand harvested and winemaking is made traditionally using wooden conical frustum vats. Wines are aged lot by lot for 12 to 16 months in French oak casks (50% new oak) and an additional 4 months in vat after blending.

Wines Produced

Château Cantermerle (grand vin) and Les Allées de Cantemerle (second wine)

Be the first to find out about our latest news, tastings, special offers and more. Sign up to our newsletter here